We're sorry but your browser is not supported by Marsh.com.au

For the best experience, please upgrade to a supported browser:


Frequently Asked Questions for Musicians

Do you have a question about your policy?  Our frequently asked questions for musical equipment insurance are the best place to start.


Buy Now

How much should I insure my instruments for?

Instruments should be insured for their full market value, so the amount of a claim reflects the current replacement value.

Do I need to provide evidence of the total value of the instrument?

If the instrument is valued at $20,000 or more, or if it’s more than 50 years old, you will need to provide evidence of the full market value. In these cases, you will need to provide an independent valuation, which is on a company letterhead, signed and dated by a craftsman, dealer, retailer or repairer. You can also provide the purchase receipt. Valuations have to be issued within the last 12 months.

Can I use my own retailer or repairer?

In the event of a claim, where the property insured is damaged or deemed a total loss, you can choose your own trusted retailer or repairer. For further information on how to claim please contact us via email or phone.

How do I get a quote?

To get a quick quote, simply head to www.musicians.marshadvantage.com.au 

How and when do I pay the premium?

Premiums are to be paid by the policy due date, found on the bottom of your invoice. Payment options include debit/credit card (American Express, MasterCard or Visa), BPAY, bank transfer or cheque. Need to pay now? You can head to www.marshadvantage.com.au/payments to pay by debit/credit card online.

When is my equipment covered and for what?

Your equipment is covered for the Period of Insurance, which means the duration of the policy as stated in the Cover Summary. Generally, this is 12 months unless otherwise stated. You’re covered for all accidental damage, loss, fire and theft, anywhere in the world provided at the time of the damage you had not been living outside Australia for more than 24 months. It doesn’t matter if the property insured is at home, being used or if it’s in transit.

Is my equipment covered when in transit?

Yes, providing it is securely packed in a hard case and you are travelling with the item. Note, however, that the item is not covered whilst it is being shipped internationally.

Am I covered if I travel overseas with my instrument?

Accidental Damage & Theft insurance offers worldwide coverage for your equipment. You can travel outside of Australia for up to 24 months at a time. However, if you are residing overseas permanently, you will need to seek local cover.

What is the excess amount?

  • $100 for an accidental damage or theft claim*
  • $250 for a General Liability claim*

*Unless otherwise stated in your policy documents

What does Public Liability cover me for?

Public Liability is personal injury or property damage to a third party as a result of negligence or your business activities as a musician. With Public Liability insurance, you’re covered for situations like an audience member tripping over a cable used for your equipment, or a student tripping over the stairs on your property while on their way to attend a music lesson.

Can Public Liability be added to my policy?

Yes, you can add Public Liability to your equipment cover which indemnifies you against accidental damage, loss, fire and theft. You might want to add Public Liability to your cover if you are leasing a venue to practice or perform. In some cases, you might need Public Liability cover to satisfy an employer or meet the requirements of a contract. We can arrange cover for $20 million.

Can I add a borrowed instrument to my policy?

Yes, you can add a borrowed or hired item to your policy, by emailing or calling us.

As an additional benefit, the policy automatically covers you if you are borrowing items up to $5,000 for a maximum period of 5 days.

This page contains general information and does not take into account your individual objectives, financial situation or needs. For full details of the terms, conditions and limitations of the covers, refer to the specific policy wordings and/or Product Disclosure Statements available from Marsh Advantage Insurance on request. Marsh Advantage Insurance Pty Ltd (ABN 31 081 358 303, AFSL 238369) arranges the insurance and is not the insurer.